Porgy has white, tender meat with a large flake and mild, sweet flavor. It has been compared to snapper in taste and texture. This recipe will work with porgy fillets as well using the pan-frying method, but fillets should be cooked skin-side down only and cooking time will only be 2-3 minutes until the flesh is opaque.
Filleted porgy (scup) (approx 1 lb)
1 tablespoon ginger, minced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
½ cup soy sauce
1 ½ cups water
½ cup chopped cilantro
½ cup chopped scallions
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
1. The fish should be cleaned and scaled, leaving on head and tails if desired.
2. Put a large, deep skillet over medium heat.
3. Add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon minced ginger; cook until sizzling.
4. Add fish, ½ cup soy sauce, 1½ cups water, ½ cup chopped scallions, ½ cup chopped cilantro and a teaspoon rice vinegar.
5. Boil, cover and turn off heat.
6. Fish will be done in about 10 minutes, do not take the top off beforehand as heat will be lost. Garnish: Chopped scallions.